MOTTO: ‘NEVER GIVE UP ON A GOOD THING’
TAX REF. 9039/528/18/8
CONTACT: CLEMENT SEABI
CELL: 078 744-8493
TEL: 011 938-6281
ADDRESS: 7817 ZONE 6, DIEPKLOOF, 1864, SOWETO
Lean On Dance Theatre is a registered non-profit making organization.
The organization was established with the aims of teaching professional dancing and African Dance with a bias towards the exciting Tswana Dance, Zulu Dance, Gumboot Dance, Afro Fusion as well as Drumming and Marimba playing to promote our African culture to the youth in previously disadvantaged communities in 1993. Our primary objective is to remove the youth from the streets with its negative consequences such as delinquency and promiscuity.
Our Director Mr. Clement Seabi has graduated at the Moving Into Dance of Mophatong wa Thabo. He obtained a diploma in Community Dance in Education Teachers Training Course in 1993. He has a wealth of experience in teaching the youth in different dance forms and techniques. He has taught at the Soyikwa Institute for African Theatre and to minor children at local day care centres and at Takalani School for the Mentally Challenged in joint partnership with Gauteng Sports, Arts, Culture and Recreation for the Pale Ya Rona Carnival in 2008 and 2009.
Lean On Dance Theatre is also part of the Diepkloof Hub Mass Participation Programme and has participated voluntary in numerous events organized by the Gauteng Department of Sports, Arts, Culture and Recreation, The Joburg City Council and also the Diepkloof Athritis Foundation.
To date Lean On Dance Theatre has attracted about 30 members to it’s organization and most of them are unemployed and are staying with us at our Directors backyard, with two rooms for girls and boys.
Our organization’s strategy is to form strategic partnerships and joint ventures with local and overseas dance companies. We wish to use our position in society by educating the youth about dangers of promiscuity and related HIV and AIDS.
Our vision is to see our youth become future stars and professional artists, who will excel in their chosen fields. We desire to promote dance as a means to achieve physical health and mental strength. We will be composing new dance techniques and become future inventors of African Dance styles and musical plays.
Our organization is governed by sound corporate governance principles.
Transparency is our cornerstone.
Our desire to see the African child have pride in African culture and dance forms is what drives us and is our reward.
Our organization has persevered without much outside funding from 1993 to date. We have to bask to put bread on the table for our members at nearby B&B’s or nearby flea markets. Our Dance and drama Director Clement Seabi is driven by the love of children and dancing and has been there in times of hardships together with Mrs. Glory Bopape who has to feed all members who are not working with dinner and breakfast.
Lack of resources and funding has constrained the growth of the organization.
The Organization is open to all youth who are willing to learn through dance.
We welcome all members of the community who are willing to lend a hand in any form and with resources.
• Host entertainers to Canadian entourage (AIDS Pediatric Foundation who visited Baragwanath Hospital 2004).
• 2005 - Won best Kwela dance group at Ziyabuya Arts Festival.
• 2005 - Won best dance group at Dance Factory Youth Festival
• 2006 - Guest performers at the inauguration of Mumies arc en ciel from France
• 2006 – Won first prize in a HIP-HOP COMPETITION at the KYALAMI THEATRE ON THE TRACK sponsored by Exergise and Citizen newspaper organized by BASELINE STUDIOS.
• 2006 – We were awarded with R1000 cash prize by Voslorus Arts and Culture Festival organizers.
• 2007 - September - Our 5-12 Year olds were presented with certificate of attendance at World Rabies Day at the Joburg Zoo.
• 2008 Host entertainers at Ekurhuleni Municipal Awards.(Drumming under Zondo Productions).
CONTINUTION OF MAJOR ARTISTIC ACHIEVEMENTS
• 2008 – 06th September 2008 One of the hottest Mzansi cultural dance troupe of the Pale ya Rona Carnival organized by the Gauteng Sports, Arts , Culture and Recreation Department. Lean On Dance Theatre organized Azuma Dance Group from Diepkloof Visions Dance Group from Carletonville ( Khutsong ) to help Diepkloof have a mass cultural interaction for the Carnival. We have currently formed partnership with them.
• 2008 – Won first prize worth R10 000 of IT Equipment in Arts and Compassion to Animals Competition at the Rand Show.( A 74cm TELEFUNKEN TV SET, A SAHARA NOTEBOOK, A EPSON 4300 PRINTER)
• 2008 – On the 8th of August 2008 Lean On Dance Theatre was funded by the Joburg City Council Development and Social Funding for the year 2008 – 2009.
• 2009– Performed “Lerato the Musical” to a packed Social Welfare Centre Hall. on the 25th of January 2009
• 2009 Host entertainers of the 2010 Local Organizing Committee President and the Deputy President Mrs. Baleka Mbethe at the publicity campaigning promotion at Maponya Shopping Mall on the 14th of April 2009.
• 2009 – Invited to perform at the Sun City (Outdoor Adventure ) for tourists on the 28th of March 2009, 8th of April 2009, and from the 28th of April 2009 to the 6th of May 2009.
• 2010 – Funded by the Gauteng Sports, Arts, Culture and Recreation to perform at Fan Parks and Gateways ( Sedibeng Municipality Offices, OR Tambo Airport for Out Of Africa and Maponya Mall) for June to August 2010.
• Invited to perform for the prince of Kwa –Zulu-Natal (prince Afrika) in December 2010 where we interacted with other groups from other provinces. (Voluntary Performance)
• 2011- Performed Setswana dance, Zulu dance, Drumming and Gumboot dance at OR TAMBO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT from the 5th to 7th of April hired by OUT OF AFRICA SHOPS.
The Directors Credentials: (MOVING INTO DANCE)
• Afro-Fusion Dance
• Contemporary Dance
• Ballet Dance
• Jazz Dance
• Anthropology and History of Dance
• Body Conditioning
• Anatomy and Physiology
• Child Development
• Music Theory and Understanding
• Laban / Creative Movement
• English Language and Communication
Also visit the new version of the DanceDirectory website, where much more other info can be found.
Visit DanceDirectory and StudioDirectory regularly for the latest dance news and information on dance events and achievements worldwide.
DanceDirectory is the first and largest dance related internet directory in Southern Africa.